I AM CAPABLE




Stereotypes are a part of our everyday life. We hear stereotypes every day and everywhere. Sometimes we can find ourselves in a situation where we make stereotypes for a large group of people. Every person, young or old, is labelled with either positive or negative stereotypes.
But the biggest victim of this disease is women. Women are judged in everything they do, no matter if it’s good or bad. They are judged on how they look and what they wear. There is no winning for women.

Take a look at some of the startling figures that the Nihar Naturals #IAmCapable survey conducted by Nielsen India reveals:

a. 69% of men agree that their judgement of women is based on their looks.

b. 64% of women agree that the judgments passed on them have affected their ability to reach their true potential.

c. 70%of women agree that majority of judgments on women are from family members or friends rather than strangers.

d. 72% of women agree that working women face more judgments on their looks or their clothes than housewives.

When I was a child, I was a little overweight or in better words, I was a healthy child. Growing up I lost weight and became thin. My family condition was not that well to do and hence I had to drop out of school to support my family. I studied till 8th STD and then started taking tuitions at home. 

I used to take tuitions for 6 hours at a stretch. Because of this I gained weight and got on the heavier side again. I come from a very reserved family and I was not allowed to stay out late. Actually the crowd around my residence was a very bad one and hence I was not even allowed to go out to the market during the day time. 

When it was time for me to get married, my parents told some of our relatives to look for a boy for me. But my relatives started passing judgement. They said I was a very homely girl and men want wives that work. They said I was overweight and nobody wants to marry an overweight girl. Every boy who would come with a proposal who judge me based on my looks. Yes, I may have been fat or homely but I was an amazing cook and an amazing teacher. But none of that mattered. I was judged so much that at one particular time I felt like running away and never coming back. But I didn’t. 

I accepted myself the way I am. And I felt happy about whoever i was and however I looked. I met a wonderful man who helped me grow. After my marriage, I enrolled to do a beautician course. I have worked under so many highly professional beauty experts from the globe. Today I am running my own business. 

If I would have left all the judging pull me down, I would have never become what I am today. Every day when I wake up, I feel strong and powerful. You need to aim beyond what you are capable of. You must develop a complete disregard for where your abilities end. Try to do things that you think you're incapable of... If you think you're incapable of running a company, make that your aim... Make your vision of where you want to be a reality. Nothing is impossible. You are capable of doing so much. Don’t let someone else’s comments pull you down.

nihar-naturals-statistics-women (1)

“I’m breaking stereotypes based on appearance by sharing my experience for the #IAmCapable activity at BlogAdda in association with Nihar Naturals.”




Share:

0 comments